Very Early London Gazette 17th Century 1665 England Newspaper W/ Great Plague
This item has been shown 14 times.
Very Early London Gazette 17th Century 1665 England Newspaper W/ Great Plague:
Very Early LONDON GAZETTE 17th Century 1665 England Newspaper w/ GREAT PLAGUE (Note: additional images are located below the description) Offered is an original, historic, & collectible old newspaper: THE LONDON GAZETTE, England, Feb. 22, 1665 (1666 by today's calendar)
* Among earliest of newspapers to be had
* Report on the great plague (rare)
Not only is the world's oldest, continually published English language newspaper (still publishes today) but it is also a very early issue, being #29.
The front page has a report from Venice referencing the Great Plague which was ravaging Europe at the time: "The Welcome...is arrived here laden with pilchards and lead; the Sanita are something rigorous with her, coming from England because of the Plague."
There are various other news reports from throughout Europe with datelines including Bristol, Dover, Falmouth, Rome, Leghorn, Genoa, Pisa, Amsterdam & elsewhere.
Noteworthy is the report at the bottom of the back page giving the weekly total of deaths as relating to the Plague: "This week's bill runs thus. Buried in all 252. Of the Plague 69. Increased in the burials this week 3."
Complete as a single sheet newspaper, 6 3/4 by 10 3/4 inches, nice condition.
Please Note: All of our offerings are 100% authentic! We do not offer reprints or reproductions of any kind. They are guaranteed to be original!
Shipping, Archival Storage Options, Certificates of Authenticity, About Us, and more...
- For this specific item, A U.S. winner pays $5.00 S&H. If multiple items are purchased and paid for simultaneously, the S&H will be calculated by using the highest item's S&H as the base cost, and then adding $1 for each additional newspaper. The per-item additional cost for folders, portfolios, and presentation cases vary.
- All U.S. orders include in-house insurance at no additional cost to the buyer.
- All U.S. bound orders include delivery confirmation (if sent by USPS) and/or tracking (if sent by UPS).
- Expedited shipping is available for all orders upon request. Every effort is made to ship all orders within 24 business hours of receiving payment.
- Some small items may be shipped 1st Class. We will still provide tracking and insure them at our expense.
If the automated checkout process does not properly combine shipping, we will refund overages automatically. If you prefer, contact us prior to payment to obtain a revised invoice. International S&H Policy...
- Upon purchasing, international winners should contact us for an invoice which includes S&H to their location.
- Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer’s responsibility. Please check with your country’s customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to offerding/buying. Note: We will not falsify customs declarations or mark an item as "gift" in order to avoid customs fees.
- If insurance is desired, be in touch for a quote. All insured orders are subject to customs, duties, & taxes for the amount insured and are subject to item 2 above.
- Large and/or brittle issues must be shipped flat and are required to be shipped by Priority Mail International (PMI), often at a weight of 3 pounds or more - quite expensive. Please contact us for a pre-purchase/pre-offerding S&H quote if you are concerned about the potential S&H cost.
- International purchasers are encouraged to take advantage of our combined shipping policy to lower the cost per item S&H.
Certificate of Authenticity... A certificate of authenticity is also available for an additional $3.00, which includes both the issue date and title, and certifies, by Timothy Hughes Rare & Early Newspapers, the issue to be authentic & original. If desired, purchase this directly (through ) at: certificate of authenticity. About Us... Contact Information...
We have been dealers in rare newspapers for over 44 years, serve as consultants to multiple museums, and are members of the American Antiquarian Society. offer with confidence knowing that every item we offer is guaranteed to be authentic.
More Information About Us
Timothy Hughes Rare Newspapers
P.O. Box 3636
Williamsport, PA 17701-8636
Hours: M-F, 7:30-4:00 EST
Click to view our additional offerings
"...desiring to conduct ourselves honorably in all things." Hebrews 13:18
If you would like to have either the Archival Storage Folder ($6.00, plus corresponding adjustment to the final S&H) or the Certificate of Authenticity ($3.00) included with the issue, please purchase these directly through using the links provided. These items are also available through our cross-promoted store offerings.
Note: In an effort to honor 's policies and our loyal customers who watch our listings,
we do not end sale items early - off . We hope you understand!