1788 Vermon = Vekmon R8 One-of-a-kind Discovery Coin: Rr-27-b #18g06
This item has been shown 8 times.
1788 Vermon = Vekmon R8 One-of-a-kind Discovery Coin: Rr-27-b #18g06:
This discovery coin is from the same collection of rare Colonial Coins currently offered at the ANA Heritage sale, including the rare 1786 Nova Constellatio, PCGS VF. The former owner would only buy extremely rare or unique colonial coins that he put away over 50 years ago, and this one fits the bill.
As with the Nova Constellatio, this one has not been in any sales that have been recorded in our lifetimes, and thus is a new discovery piece with these highlights:
1. The K is clearly "as struck", without the slightest signs of damage and absolutely no signs of altering anywhere near the top of the K.
2. As with the 1800 LIBEKY Half Dime pictured below, there is no damage where the top of the R should be, and the K on this piece is more pronounced than the K on the half dimes with the same type die error.
3. Our theory is that the die for this 1788 was discarded, because although this particular variety is usually sharply struck, this K variety is not, suggesting die failure that was obvious to even the coiners of the time.
4. This theory is further evident in that the coiners of this particular at first attempted to strike "Probably the most carefully cut die in the Vermont series , as noted under W-2205, RR27 on page 90 of Q. David Bower's "Encyclopedia of Colonial Coins".
5. As far as we've seen for the past 50 years, this one-of-a-kind little gem is all the more unique in that it has longer than usual "Saw tooth" denticle on the right, suggesting further die wear.
6. Additionally, this appears to have been uniquely struck on an under type, possibly struck over a slightly older Connecticut, with what appears to be rotated head detail parallels and underneath "Vermon, lettering above "Vermon" and more letting curving around in front of the face on the obverse.
Whatever the many mysterious of this coin may be, we 100% confirm that it is genuine with a lifetime guarantee of authenticity and any one of the above characteristics make it well worth the price of any high-rarity colonial.
Please view our many other sales, which start at about half of estimated wholesale values and include many rare, unusual or unlisted varieties. Please click on our "Follow" link and "See Other Items" link, found below our "About This Seller" section at the top right of all of our posted items. Our goal is 100% satisfaction, as indicated by the many positive responses from multiple dealers who have numerous years of experience.